17 July 2017
Buying property really quickly is what we do every day of every week. And when I say quickly, I mean really quickly – the fastest we have managed is just four hours from paperwork received to completion.
So we are often asked “how do you do it when a normal sale takes months?”.
Well, partly it’s possible because we are set up to do it. We have specialist surveyors and solicitors on standby and a team in the office who are experienced in problem solving, overcoming all of the small (and sometimes big) issues that can crop up, but there are many things that any property buyer can do to avoid delays and get the job done much faster.
Here’s a list of some of the most effective;
- Before you do anything, go to see your solicitor – one near to your home or work is usually best. Chances are they will need you to complete an instruction form and provide identification. Doing this first will save delays later. Whilst you’re there tell them what your plans are and make sure they can keep up with the pace
- Ask everyone involved to use email wherever possible so you can reply quickly. You’d be surprised how many solicitors still like to write letters, put a stamp on them and wait a few days for a reply!
- If you don’t have a printer, buy one – it will be the best £30 you’ll spend. You can print almost everything you need to sign and then return it same day or better still, deliver it yourself
- Get money to your solicitor early. Most banks will have to make checks for large sums which can hold up funds in transit, sometimes for days
- Be flexible. Chances are the property you’re buying won’t be perfect. Perhaps there will be some repairs required or some guarantees or certificates will be missing. Whilst nobody wants to buy a pup, you have to be prepared to ‘take a view’ on minor issues
- And finally, above all – be open and honest. Sometimes there may be hold ups which can’t be avoided. Generally people understand this but if you have misled them before, they won’t